Monday, January 25, 2010

Joining the Community



As my first challenge, I decided the best route to take was a simple soft opening to new monotony-buster quest (i.e. knowing I couldn't fail).
I got my library card and actually used it!
What a great first step for me; I've just recently moved to a new town (well, 5 months ago) and still don't know much about my hometown.  I've been putting off getting a library card since the beginning.  And now I've gone and done it, and because I got to come home and report it to you, I really felt like it was a true accomplishment.  Whoo Hoo!
Why was it so successful, you wonder?  Not only did I make a few new aquaintences, but I also took my first step in truly joining my community.
Libraries have so much to offer and are one of the most community oriented places in a town.  As soon as I walked into the lobby, I glanced at a thorough map of my hometown and scanned a corkboard filled with local happenings, personal business cards and announcements about my town, state, country and world.  I was certain to stick my business card up there too.  Entering the main hall, I breathed in the scent of old and new books and a thick air of creativity and thoughts.  While surfing the book shelves, I felt at peace from the "library voices" at a quiet whir, the turning of the page, and the light beep-beep at the check out.  There were tutoring sessions progressing, newspaper readers digesting and book enthusiasts borrowing.  I felt as though I were in a Barnes and Noble book store without the distractions of coffee, music and constant chatter.  It was an opportunity for me to be silent, admire my community and find something that strikes my fancy amongst hundreds of books, books on tape, movies, etc.
When I left, I walked out proudly with book under my arm, but more importantly, with a sense of warmth and vitality.  To be amongst education, sharing and giving was well worth my time.  And now I have a library card and a book to read as opposed to surfing the net or watching movies.
What a great challenge and true change for my daily life to come.

1 comment: