Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Creating a new recipe


I love to improvise, so actually creating a recipe, remembering what I've put in my food, was a challenge for me.
I'm not much of a shopper.  So, my friend had already bought everything she wanted me to make.  I got right to it.  One of my specialties is roasted vegetables, especially beets; she'd made sure to mention her desire for them as soon as I landed.  That meant that I had to plan the rest of the meal around my beets.
She had jasmine rice, onion, squash, zucchini, garlic, scallops from the Cape and limes among other things.  I put my chef hat on and got creative.  I love cooking random vegetables together, so I chopped up the veggies and threw in some dried cranberries dressed in salt, pepper, cumin, sherry, shoyu and lemon zest.  Delicious!  After combining with the jasmine rice, I added some dijon mustard to finish it off.  Oh glorious food!
Then came the scallops.  I had never cooked scallops before, believe it or not, so I had a lot of fun with this one.  I threw in some lime juice, butter, garlic, paprika and oregano in a pan and placed them in the broiler.  After they were cooked, I mixed in a little kudzu to thicken the sauce and poured it on top of the scallops to serve.  Yum!
As for the roasted beets, I won't tell you my recipe, but gosh they were good.  The recipe is outstanding, but varies depending on the home I'm in.
This creation certainly spiced up our day.  Plus, knowing that I had completely created each recipe on my own made it all the better.  Try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment